Position Title: Full Stack Developer
Reports to: Director of Software Developer, MAXIMUS Canada
Worker Category: Regular, Full Time
Location: 716 Yates St., Victoria, BC, CA
On behalf of Maximus Canada and in support of our client business departments, the Technology Services Department provides services that supports them in delivering better outcomes for their clients. With over 125 staff, the IT Services Department provides the following services: Customer Service (Contact Centre, PharmaCare Help Desk, Service Desk, Info Support, and Prosthetics and Orthotics)
• IT Infrastructure Service Delivery
• Pharmaceutical Services Segment Development Support
• Medical Services Segment Development Support
• IT Development Support
• Access, Audit & Investigations Services
• Shared Application Management Services
The position supports the web applications for citizen-facing components. This involves creating new web applications and adapting the existing ones to new demands to expand the functionality while also providing application support and maintenance. In addition, your skill set will also include full stack development and will include deep technical skills in middleware development, database programming languages, and Agile software development tools.
The developer must acquire and maintain technical system knowledge of the existing front-end application functions and back end systems while keeping abreast of corporate direction in expanding new technology solutions. Knowledge of the RedHat’s OpenShift environment or Container-based environments such as Docker and Kubernetes is a plus. The position is a combined front-end and full stack developer role and will be involved being in multiple concurrent projects at the same time. The role requires good organization and technical skills, and the ability to work independently or as part of a collaborative team. Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
• Collaborates with designers, architects, business system analysts and testing specialists to deliver high quality solutions
• Design and develop custom code application features and functions to technical and functional programming standards
• Creates required documentation, design documents and participates in peer reviews
• Assist and troubleshoot current application issues
• Assist in developing testing scenarios and test plans
• Monitor the application and recommend upgrades and efficiency alternatives to the application
Education and Experience
• Relevant degree from a recognized university or certificate from a recognized college required.
• Structured training in relevant programming languages and methodologies required.
• Two years of experience working with Java for middleware development as well as database programming languages and Agile software development tools.
• Strong understanding of modern web design development principles, such as responsive design, progressive enhancements, vulnerability assessment and mitigation.
• Experience with Linux operating system and container-based environments such as OpenShift and Docker.
• Experience with the application landscape that supports the British Columbia Ministries is desirable, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Participate in all phases of the software development life cycle (SDLC) to deliver applications that address business requirements
• Application maintenance, production systems support, designing and developing solutions using application development tools
• Work independently on small application releases or as part of a project team on larger application releases
• Possess good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to perform comfortably in a fast-paced, team based system support and deliverables-oriented work environment
• Experience supporting mission critical applications
• Problem solver with the ability to methodically analyze and resolve programming challenges
• Must be comfortable seeking peer and supervisory guidance on complex application challenges must have a desire to learn applications being supported
• Detail-oriented, fast-learner and self-motivated
Results and Delivery
• Defines appropriate goals
• Works toward achieving goals
• Articulates vision and steps for achievement
• Maintains current understanding of technical processes and equipment
• Uses technology to increase performance and productivity
• Understands the balance between our capabilities, the customer’s expectations, and the parameters in which we operate
• Uses open, honest communication to develop relationships built on trust and mutual respect
• Seeks to incorporate the experience of our diverse customers
• Builds relationships through personal credibility, as opposed to formal authority
• Takes the time to properly plan
• Data-driven and detail-focused
• Seeks out opportunities for continuous improvement
• Maintains confidentiality